|Top, current location; bottom, new location|
A popular midtown thrift store is on the move.
The Cathedral of St. Philip Thrift House is on the move again, but not too far, less than a half mile away to 1893 Piedmont Road. Currently, the thrift store is located at 1837 Piedmont Avenue, adjacent to twist 'n' scoot and to the right of Fuqua Development's new Morningside project. (Sources say that the building that houses both the Thrift House and twist 'n' scoot is being torn down for new development, possibly related to the Fuqua project.)
The new 6,630 square foot space is much larger and will allow for the thrift store to accept more furniture than they could previously. The new space was for many years home to Carithers Flowers Atlanta, and more recently had been the home of Happy Science Center for Spiritual Growth and Meditation.
The new space also has plenty of parking and access from both Piedmont Road and Rockledge Road. Interestingly, the parking lot provides both vehicular and pedestrian access to Nakato Japanese Restaurant and appears to have been used for restaurant parking.
Current plans call for a seamless transition whereby the current store will close in late August and almost immediately will open in the new location.
It's worth noting that Goodwill of North Georgia is also opening a new store in the area. Sitting on roughly 2.4 acres, the new 25,000 square foot Goodwill is located at 2133 Piedmont Road and should open in early 2015.
Junior League of Atlanta's Nearly New Shop celebrates their grand opening this coming Saturday, August 2nd. Nearly New had most recently been located in Howell Mill Square on the Westside but will now be located at Toco Hill, off North Druid Hills Road. Both Nearly New and the Thrift House were previously located at the earlier incarnation of Lindbergh Plaza: Broadview Plaza.